Let’s get the good news out of the way first, Comanche (NovaLogic‘s long-running helicopter simulation series) is back from the dead, thanks to THQ Nordic and developers Nukklear. Now brace for the bad news: this revival will be a multiplayer-only affair, and it seems to be aiming for a far more casual audience.
Don’t take my word for it, here’s a teaser trailer:
Comanche is a team-based online multiplayer helicopter shooter set in the near future, in which you engage with your team of 4 pilots in intense helicopter dogfights and sneaky close-quarter drone combat to attack or defend high-value targets in areas of difficult access. Choose from an array of Comanche and drone configurations, and utilize their strengths to your tactical advantage. By combining the old strengths with a modern multiplayer online shooter gameplay, we bring this franchise into the 21st century.
- Two in one: Control a technically advanced version of the legendary RAH-66 Comanche helicopter in heated dogfights, and step into its accompanying drone for close-quarter combat.
- Many strategic opportunities: Pick one of many Comanche/Drone combinations armed with varied weapons and unique gadgets that compliments your playing style.
- Objective-based multiplayer: Every mission has its own goal – play as a team, to achieve victory.
- Asymmetrical gameplay: Be either on the attacking or the defending side.
- Breachable buildings: Use destructible elements in your environment to catch your opponents off-guard.
- Early access for the players: Comanche will launch in early access to allow the community to participate in the game’s development with their feedback.
- Constant content updates: To expand, modify and improve the game THQ Nordic and Nukklear will continuously provide new exciting content for Comanche
While I’m a bit disappointed by this news (I was a big fan of NovaLogic‘s titles), there’s still some hope left, as the game’s Steam page states that there’s some sort of single player option, even if it hasn’t been discussed openly so far.