Fancy playing a complex (and highly rewarding) strategy game set in the Middle Ages without spending a single cent*? If your answer is yes, then you are in luck, because Paradox Interactive is giving away Crusader Kings II on Steam. The promotion lasts from April 5-7, and gamers who forget to click the tempting “Play game” button during that timeframe will be able to take advantage of a 75% off discount during the weekend.
The Dark Ages might be drawing to a close, but Europe is still in turmoil. Petty lords vie against beleaguered kings who struggle to assert control over their fragmented realms. The Pope calls for a Crusade to protect the Christians in the Holy Land even as he refuses to relinquish control over the investiture of bishops – and their riches. Now is the time for greatness. Expand your demesne and secure the future of your dynasty. Fill your coffers, appoint vassals, root out traitors and heretics, introduce laws and interact with hundreds of nobles, each with their own agenda.
A good lord will always need friends to support him. But beware, as loyal vassals can quickly turn to bitter rivals, and some might not be as reliable as they seem… Stand ready, and increase your prestige until the world whispers your name in awe. Do you have what it takes to become a Crusader King?
Crusader Kings II explores one of the defining periods in world history in an experience crafted by the masters of Grand Strategy. Medieval Europe is brought to life in this epic game of knights, schemes, and thrones…
- Start a game at any point between 1066 and 1337 and play until 1453
- Pick a Christian lord and make sure his dynasty survives as you play a succession of his descendants through the ages
- Gain Prestige for every successive character you play, furthering the glory of your Dynasty
- Expand your feudal domain – and keep it from falling apart
- Unravel the plots of your courtiers and vassals, each with their own opinions and agendas
- Take up the Cross and fight the Moor, the Heathen and the Heretic.
- Defend against the onslaught of the Mongol Horde
- Struggle with the Pope for control of the bishops
- Relive the Middle Ages with up to 32 other players in a competitive multiplayer mode
*While the base game is currently free, players who enjoy the sort of entertainment provided by Crusader Kings II might be reaching for their wallet soon, considering there’s a staggering amount of DLC available on the Steam Store.