Remember Jamestown? It was one of the first shoot ’em ups ever released on Steam, and if that wasn’t enough, it was actually a truly amazing game as well (I had to make that distinction, because at the time we were somewhat starved for content when it came to that genre, so I’d have played it regardless of its quality). Why am I talking about this? Well, Jamestown+ (the previously PlayStation 4 exclusive edition) should arrive on PC next month, on December 12th.
What’s in this expanded re-release? Here’s the description of all the new stuff, courtesy of the game’s Steam store page:
Built from the ground up to be an exciting experience for players of all skill levels, Jamestown+ is friendly to shoot ’em up newcomers while also offering the full-throttle challenge that die-hard fans of the genre crave.
Set on 17th-century British colonial Mars, Jamestown+ is a neoclassical cooperative shoot-em-up for up to four players. Lush pixelart and an award-winning orchestral soundtrack immerse you in Raleigh’s battle to protect Britain’s last bastion: Jamestown colony. Jamestown+ features all the intensity, depth, and lovingly handcrafted pixels of a classic arcade shooter, with a modern twist: deeply-integrated cooperative gameplay.
Eight years in the making, this is the definitive expanded and remastered edition of the critically-acclaimed debut title from Final Form Games.
Fun for all:
- Jamestown‘s wide array of difficulty levels gives newcomers an exciting way to get into the shoot ’em up genre while also offering experts the crisply-controlling intense action they crave.
- Jamestown+ plays beautifully at any number of players – you’ll only lose a credit when the whole team is destroyed at once, so you’re always happy to have a bonus friend in on the action!
- Play with up to four of literally any type of controller! Jamestown+‘s controller detection & key rebinds let you and your friends get into the game with whatever you’ve got on hand. Four mice? Check. A mouse and three keyboards? Check. A Steam Controller, a DDR pad, a Rock Band guitar, and a Flightsim controller? Check, and also please send us a video of you doing this.
What do we mean by “+”?:
- Two all-new, handcrafted levels set on Phobos & Deimos, the moons of Mars.
- New ships: Brave the horrors of Mars with several powerful new ships and their unique loadouts, including Treason’s powerful fusillades of homing missiles, Ghost’s mighty close-range Excalibur and shadow double, and The Armada, three new configurable characters allow for 36 possible weapon loadouts, allowing players to craft their own playstyle.
- Countless improvements large and small, including new background & enemy artwork, level layout adjustments, bullet pattern tweaks, and a completely scratch-built user interface.
- The original soundtrack and sound effects have been carefully remastered for 5.1 surround sound, powered by the all-new Gorilla Audio engine.
There’s no word on a loyalty discount for owners of the original, though I wouldn’t rule the possibility out.