Gunpowder Games‘ naval combat battle royale Maelstrom is now free to play on Steam, with premium currency and other rewards available for players who purchased the game on Early Access before the switch to F2P.
I was quite hooked on Maelstrom‘s innovative approach to the Battle Royale genre when I played the game last year, so I’d say that this is the perfect time to jump in if you weren’t sold before.
This is what the developers have to say regarding the game’s Free to Play model:
FREE-TO-PLAY DEFINITION FOR MAELSTROM
As Free-to-Play definitions vary with games we want to define it clearly so players know what they can expect:
– All gameplay and progress can be unlocked by playing the game for free. No additional purchases are needed to enjoy the game to its fullest extent.
– There are no ways to purchase a competitive advantage in game.
– Players must play the game to progress & become more powerful. There are no ways to purchase a top tier ship with a powerful crew, it must be earned by playing the game. Players can however, accelerate progression with boosts.
– Gold is in-game currency and earned by playing the game.
– Gunpowder is premium currency & the only item sold for cash in-game. It is used to buy all of the premium items in the store such as the battle pass, cosmetics, boosters & bundles.
– Gunpowder can also be earned for free via the Battle Pass, completing quests & checking the store.
– Battle Passes unlock cosmetics, gold or gunpowder & there is a premium track that unlocks additional rewards for gunpowder.
– Future content will be added through seasonal Battle Passes, events or content drops.
– There are no loot boxes. All Items are directly purchasable in the store.
Fans who owned the game from its paid Early Access phase will get some quite generous rewards:
- All Ships Unlocked
- 3 Mates for Each Race
- 1 Legendary Mate for Each Race
- Seasonal Battle Pass Unlocked
- 10,000 Gunpowder Premium Currency
- Exclusive Title ‘Old Salt’
- Exclusive Wind Trailer ‘Happy’
- Exclusive Cannon Trailer ‘Grande Finale’
- Exclusive Lifeboat ‘Guppy Thrasher’