Korean news site inews24 reports that Blizzard has a Starcraft HD re-release in the works, and that it may be announced in November, at the company’s big expo, BlizzCon.
The site remarks that the original Starcraft is still insanely popular in Korea, even managing to rank in the top 10 games most played at internet cafes.
This year’s BlizzCon will be mark the company’s 25th anniversary, so it could be a great moment to unveil a remastered version of one of Blizzard’s most beloved games.
Blizzard declined to comment on the rumor, but a job posting dating back to November of last year adds credibility to the existence of a Starcraft HD re-release, since the company was looking for new talent in order to bring their classic games to modern audiences.
Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.
We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.
So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.
- Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
- Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
- Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
- Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
- Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
- Expert knowledge of C / C++
- A minimum of 5 years’ development experience
- Experience debugging unfamiliar code
- Passion for games
- Excite us
- Experience debugging Win32 or OS X game software
- Experience using Visual Studio or Xcode
- Experience with x86 assembly