Avast, ye scurvy dogs! Orbcreation, the sole developer responsible for Sailaway: The Sailing Simulator, revealed this week that his creation will leave Early Access on February 27th. The game’s price will not increase (US$39.99).
According to Richard Knol, the man behind Sailaway, his impressive sailing sim will help players who wish to learn how to sail (or enhance their already existing sailing skills), as it features a world-wide ocean simulation, with voyages that take months (real months, no “time compressed” alternatives) and are affected by real-time weather data pulled from NOAA.
Steam users seem to back his claims, with the game currently enjoying a “Very positive” rating.
Early Access to full release changelog:
- Addition of Nordic Folkboat
- Addition of 50ft Performance Cruiser
- Addition of Catamaran
- Workshop access for players to create their own liveries
- Livery customisation packs
- Fixes to the multicrew system
- Addition of player created races
- Addition of private chat groups and persistent crew chat
- Location sharing between players
- Addition of player information on boats
- Performance improvements to allow large numbers of boats without crashes
- Race Teams – Players can create and run their own teams for races.
- Player badges for race completion
Sailing and navigation
- Navigational lights added to the boats
- More buoys, lighthouses and markers
- Wave surfing simulation
- Wind shadow simulation
- Voyage management
- Day/night indicator added to the map
- Continuous improvements to ocean height map data
- Extra visibility (actual numbers) of what the simulation is simulating.
- More ambient sounds
- Increased real-time weather accuracy
- Wildlife added to the oceans – Birds, Dolphins, Whales
- Horizon improvements
- Gameplay music and new audio
- Improvements to visual elements such as shading and textures
- Improvements to US map data
- Addition of extra Hotkeys
- Addition of controller support
- Ability to view sails while accessing trim options
- New tutorials
- Addition of Japanese language options
- Addition of Steam achievements
- Improved player statistic tracking on profiles
The developer has pledged to continue supporting Sailaway after it exits Early Access.