Fancy replaying TIE Fighter but wish it had nicer graphics and other modern features? Well, then you are in luck, as the TIE Fighter Total Conversion mod for Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance has just been released and it features all the original campaigns (base game plus the two expansions) beautifully remade within the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade engine. If that’s not enough, there’s also a new Reimagined campaign that remakes or completely reworks the first eight Battles from the original game in ways that couldn’t be possible with the old TIE Fighter engine. Oh, and VR support is also included!
Seriously, just take a look at the trailer I’ve embedded below. This is a passion project that will bring so many smiles to so many people that I can’t even prevent myself from smiling as I write this. The work that has been done in order to bring TIE Fighter back to life in this new engine is nothing short of miraculous. All you need to do if you wish to experience the glory yourself is to own a copy of Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (available on Steam and GOG) and then head over to this fan remake’s Mod DB site where you can get the instructions to download the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade mod plus the files for this total conversion.
The TIE Fighter Total Conversion (TFTC) project is aimed at porting the original classic 1994 LucasArts game TIE Fighter, into the 1999 X-Wing Alliance (XWA) engine. Based on the original TFTC from 2005 and built upon the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project, this is a complete overhaul of the game from graphics to gameplay. All 13 battle campaigns and their training missions have been ported over along with 8 Reimagined battle campaigns, taking advantage of the much better XWA engine and imagining how TIE Fighter could’ve been had the technology of the time not limited it. But here’s a general breakdown of what you can expect from this mod!
- A full port of all the Classic TIE Fighter missions, including the expansions Defender of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire – a total of 76 campaign missions + the 28 original Training missions. This includes all the original voiceovers and cutscenes.
- A Reimagined campaign of the first 8 Battles of TIE Fighter. These take the original missions, expand upon them for more ships, bigger battles or in some cases completely build new missions out of them but retaining the same overall narrative and story points of the original Classic. This campaign includes 37 fully playable campaign missions + 4 updated training scenarios.
- That’s a total of 145 unique missions between both the Classic and Reimagined versions!
- Enjoy the amazing updated visuals for the X-Wing Alliance engine made possible by the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project (XWAU), bringing this 22 year old game into the modern era of graphics.
- VR Support, again thanks to the XWAU project.
- Enjoy a fully remastered TIE Fighter soundtrack or even load up the old original MIDI soundtrack if you’re feeling more nostalgic!
- Rank up, collect memorabilia and earn medals in your pilot room as you progress!
- Join the Secret Order of the Emperor as you play through and rank up those tattoos just like the original.